Sunday, May 20, 2007

Another Step Forward

Last week was a great experience to me which also enrich my understanding about what I call customer service aspect in my current job. Finally what I want was heard and followed.

Wed, 16 May 2007

As expected that the day was busy. Normally we finished the service on 17:00 but because Thur, 17 May was public holiday, the service was still busy until the time. I was called about the time to meet The Yard Manager. I did not expect to hear what I would hear, that I was complained by the brokers association. They met the President Director who passed the message on the Yard Manager which finally forwarded it to me.

The message said that 'the service was deemed to be delivered too firm'. The customers need more flexibility.

I was firmed for some cases :

1. Shortage of bank guarantee.
I can say that I was not authorised until I raised this problem. When I was not authorised, I
was not allowed to receive the money whatsoever. This is what they called 'too firm'.

2. The service hours.
Since beginning I identified that in the past (Import Service is still doing it) that the service
hours are flexible, can be over than 05:00 pm, but later I found that the transaction was
done personally. Supply - demand rule applies in this case. The customer demand extra
service which can be supplied by the officer, but the official service hour finished, then this
is personal service which need 'extra money'.
I did not allow this happened anymore. That is why I was firmed about the service hours. I
would like to have this to be standardised by the management, but sometime I doubt if my
my understanding was right or wrong. Because in the same area, I identified difference
standard between export and import service.
I was firmed about this, but in the other hand, import did this. How could this happen ? Did
the Management know about this ? If so, why did they let this happen ? If not, howcome ?
I have many questions in my head, which need answers, until Fri, 18 May 2007.

Fri, 18 May 2007

Since Thur, I heard that Shipping Agent would open the service on Fri full day, which could be problem to us, as our service would open from 09:00 am to 02 pm only.
What I reckoned then happened. At 02:00 pm, the late customer unhappy to see we closed the service and started to get upset to me as the service supervisor.
The demanded the service to be extended. I sent them to the Yard Manager who then decided to listen the customer.
The following day, The Yard Manager told me to set up the official service hours as I always expected !!!

What a day....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home